Thursday, June 12, 2014

The testy exchange between Terry Gross and Hillary Clinton when the Fresh Air host pressed Clinton on her change of heart about gay marriage

Related: We like Terry Gross, but were disappointed about her failure to ask Hillary Clinton about State Department emails showing the extent of  shameful collusion with TransCanada against U.S. landowners in the foreign oil company's push to extend its leaky Keystone pipeline project across across America's biggest and purest underground acquifer. Not once, but twice the EPA criticized State Dept. environmental whitewashes assessments of the risks of the Keystone XL project while Clinton led the State Dept.



The ultra-right wing website NewsMax listened carefully to the marriage exchange:


     But things got testy when, despite Clinton's explanation that her views have evolved in recent years, Gross shot back that many people supported gay marriage in the '90s and then said:
     
"I'm pretty sure you didn't answer my question about whether you evolved or it was the American public that changed."
     
"Because I said I'm an American so of course we all evolved and I think that's a fair conclusion," Clinton shot back.
     
Gross continued to push her on the issue until Clinton appeared to be done with the conversation.
     
"You know I really, I have to say, I think you are being very persistent, but you are playing with my words and playing with what is such an important issue," Clinton said.
     
"I'm just trying to clarify so I can understand," Gross said in return.
     
"No, I don't think you are trying to clarify," Hillary then snapped. "I think you are trying to say that I used to be opposed and now I am in favor and I did it for political reasons. And that's just flat wrong.
     
"I did not grow up even imagining gay marriage and I don't think you probably did either. This was an incredibly new and important idea that people on the front lines of the gay rights movement began to talk about and slowly, but surely, convinced others of the rightness of that position. When I was ready to say what I said, I said it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis