Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sen. Tom Harkin's hearing on school bullying in Des Moines, revisited

In June Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin's regional regional hearing about bullying was held in Des Moines. AKSARBENT missed the broadcast, but it's available from Iowa Public Television on the Internet.
     Of particular note is the testimony from Liz Sederquist beginning at about 16:24 of this segment, which plainly exposes the benign neglect of some educators who, by administrative fiat, effectively complete the intimidation and calculated damage that some of their nastier student charges begin:
...I'm still technically a student at Gilbert High School, but I rarely ever attend. I have no classes there. I'm there long enough to take my DMAC test. The reason why I rarely step foot in Gilbert is because I slowly dropped my classes in order to remove myself from a school that was unsupportive and hostile to me because I myself identify as lesbian...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis