Friday, April 6, 2012

Kids today: gay assimilation and the death of Judyism: 'Immortality just ain't what it used to be;' Robert Lelux weeps for his people

Judy Garland, 1956
Last weekend, Robert Lelux took a gay friend in his 30s to a preview performance of “End of the Rainbow,” Peter Quilter’s play starring Tracie Bennet about the final days of Judy Garland.
     In the course of that invitation, Lelux asked his friend if he was a Judy fan, and he said, “No, but she was good in ‘The Wizard of Oz.’ ”
     That, Lelux noted, is the kind of answer one might expect from Tim Tebow.
I asked, “Did your mother ever listen to Judy albums around the house?”
      “She liked ’80s hair bands. Poison, Aerosmith, Journey. But I bet my great-grandmother listened to her.”
      I asked, “Is this a dagger I see before me?”
      “What?”
      “Nothing.”
      “Personally I like Joni Mitchell,” he continued. “She’s real. Not so dramatic. Down to earth.”
      Who wants down to earth, I wanted badly to respond, when you can be transported over the rainbow? Instead I asked Brodie if he’d ever heard gay guys refer to themselves as “Friends of Dorothy?”
      “Why would they do that?”
Very possibly related: gay character Max in season finale of ABC's Happy Endings.
 

1 comment:

  1. So true. I was brought up sharing rock and metal music with my friends. I kinda liked my parents Dusty Springfield and Dionne Warwick records, but never felt any special affinity with torch songs or Judy. It's just too old fashioned...

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis