Friday, April 20, 2012

James Beard Foundation president: 'I have informed the Boy Scouts of America that I am rescinding my acceptance of the award.'

After the Boys Scouts of America gave Susan Ungarao, the President of the James Beard Foundation, its "Distinguished Citizen" award, Michelangelo Signorile, in a Huffington Post piece, ticked off a few highlights of the Boy Scouts' history of antigay discrimination, including the recent incident in which den mother Jennifer Tyrrell was dismissed for being gay. Signorile also noted that the legendary chef and cookbook writer was himself gay and discriminated against, and wondered aloud how Ungaro could accept an award from the Boy Scouts.
     Within hours, Ungarao wrote the following:

While I support all the poverty and hunger-fighting programs of the Boy Scouts of America, including sending at-risk youth to camp, your report brought to my attention that accepting the Distinguished Citizen Award implied I support their anti-gay policy, which I absolutely do not. When I accepted the honor, I was focused on supporting the New Jersey chefs and restaurant community.
   I have informed the Boy Scouts of America that I am rescinding my acceptance of the award.

(Via Towleroad)

Related:
The Boy Scouts' Mormon Problem.
New suit filed against Boy Scouts of America
Are Boy Scouts of America sitting on a list of 5,000 proven or suspected pedophiles in their ranks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis