Friday, January 13, 2012

Veteran CBS correspondent Richard Threlkeld, 74, dies after car collides with propane tanker in Long Island

Threlkeld in 1967
In his more than 25 years at CBS, Threlkeld, of Cedar Rapids, IA, covered Gulf War I, Vietnam, Robert Kennedy's assasination and Patty Hearst's kidnapping. The AP reports:
In 1981, Threlkeld decided to jump to up-and-coming ABC News without fanfare and without telling CBS.
     "I don't like to horse trade. I'm not a horse," Threlkeld told The Associated Press at the time. "After I decided ABC was the best place for me to go, it would have been wrong to make a verbal agreement and take it back to CBS to see what they could do."
     Click here to see a piece he did on the beat generation for CBS' Sunday Morning in 1995.
     Threlkeld is survived by his wife, Betsy Aaron, herself a veteran network television reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis