Thursday, November 3, 2011

National Organization for Marriage to make 23,683 robot calls to Iowa District 18 to defeat Liz Mathis

The National Organization for Marriage is making 23,683 robocalls to defeat Liz Mathis in a hotly-contest Iowa District 18 special election, which they're trying to turn into a gay marriage referendum.

Unfortunately there is little you can do to stop the National Organization for Marriage's robocalls because political calls are exempt from Federal Trade Commission rules governing robocalls.

NOM, organized as a Mormon front group, also did this in New York recently. Click here to read the comments, including some by people who figured out how to get the calls to stop. If you're bothered, put your phone or cell phone on speaker and make a YouTube video! Call it "National Organization for Marriage Telephone Harassment" or something.

AKSARBENT got an earful when it posted about NOM's New York antigay phone barrage. These were some of the comments:

Mel said...
This is weird - I just got a robocall from this number, and I'm in Texas.
Anonymous said...
I have 1 or 2 messages on my answering machine every single day from this number. But the message is about a survey wanting to know if I am registered to vote in NY. I am on the Do Not Call registry, but I think they may fall under the exempt.
Anonymous said...
I have gotten literally 15 calls from these despicable people - once a day at least for about two weeks. No matter how I answer the survey, they keep calling. It's harassment. Please do what I'm doing and call their phone # 609-688-0450 to leave a stern message that their harassment is not o.k.
Chris said...
I found out better information - call 202-457-8060 and ask to speak to Dave Monge, with the National Organization for Marriage. I called him and very sternly told him to take me off their call list or I will be calling my local law enforcement people, because it amounts to harassment. Bloggers everywhere please post this information - and call his # to get a real person on the phone, not a full answering machine that ignores you.
Anonymous said...
I've gotten two of these phone calls within the last hour....almost one every day for the last few weeks.....really sick of it.... Toni
Chris said...
Toni - I'm serious, call 202-457-8060 during normal business hours and ask to speak to David Monge, who will most likely be the one answering the phone. Explain to him why you're annoyed. If he gets enough of these calls from real people, this abusive behavior by the National Organization for Marriage (they have harassed hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers, landlines and cell phones alike, in the last few weeks in the run up to the vote on a gay marriage bill in this state) will stop.
Anonymous said...
I just called 202-457-8060 and asked to be removed. He "assured me" that my # would be forwarded to the call center and removed promptly. Thanks for posting this info. The calls are most annoying.
Anonymous said...
SWEET!!!! I got a human being too!! 2 calls a day...everyday for weeks on end!!! This BETTER STOP!! Thanks for the #. :-)
Anonymous said...
My wife has been complaining about the increasing frequency of these phone calls. Although in s straight marriage were unable to procreate but have adopted children. NOM constantly insults families like mine and we consider the phone calls from these bigots to be harassment.
Anonymous said...
They just promised to take off all three of the lines in my home. When they call, all of our phones go off simultaneously because we have three lines, whose numbers are consecutive.
Anonymous said...
I get calls daily from these people. It's really pissing me off. Phone number I get on caller ID is 202-643-1958.
Anonymous said...
609-688-0450 I get calls 2-3 times a day for the past month!-despite repeated requests to take my number off their list!!! I even completed their stupid "survey" a few times...guess I gave the wrong answer.
Anonymous said...
I get calls from 609-688-0450 2-3 times a day. I am from NY and have repeatedly asked to be taken off the list. This has been going on for a month, and I am so frustrated. I am going to call 202-457-8060 that Chris suggested.
Anonymous said...
I have gotten at least 25 calls from this organization. I keep saying NO and they keep calling. Now they are using another # 1-202-630-7993. 6/23/11. It is harrassment!!!
Anonymous said...
1-202-643-1958 calls with at least 10 messages per phone per day. " Are you registered to vote in NY?" and " This is a public survey, we may try again later".
Anonymous said...
I already called the number that Chris suggested. Hope it works. The number they used to call me is as follows: 202-643-1958. I live in NYC and was receiving at least 5 phone calls a day now for about 3 weeks.
Darth Buddha said...
Everyday: 202-630-9908 blocked it...then 202-630-7993 blocked that one... then 202-643-1958 blocked... stay tuned...
Darth Buddha said...
I called the number above and pretended I agreed with the organization but would go against my own beliefs and support the opposition simply because of all the calls.
Anonymous said...
The NOM phone recording message referred to 609-688-0450 I used google to look it up and it is listed to them, I emailed a request to stop these calls and will copy the do not call registry for enforcement. These calls have been very frequent and very annoying.
Anonymous said...
Here are the ones who called me (in NY) several times this month: 203-567-2900 "SURVEY SAMPLING" 202-630-9908 "FREERSRCH2011" 231-224-2031 "MOUNTAIN W RESE" 202-630-7993 "RESPONDSAIC2011" 202-643-1958 "DATA2011AIC" 202-630-0919 "POLLRSPNZ2011"
Anonymous said...
Just to clarify, here are the calls just stored on my phone -duplicate date means multiple calls I got as far back as my caller ID goes: 203-567-2900 "SURVEY SAMPLING" 6/7 202-630-9908 "FREERSRCH2011" 6/7,6/8,6/8,6/10,6/13,6/13,6/14,6/16,6/16 231-224-2031 "MOUNTAIN W RESE" 6/7 202-630-7993 "RESPONDSAIC2011" 6/17,6/20,6/21,6/22,6/23,6/23 202-643-1958 "DATA2011AIC" 6/20,6/20,6/22 202-630-0919 "POLLRSPNZ2011" 6/23
Linda said...
We've been receiving calls from this idiots for days. Today, alone, so far we've received THREE calls: 12:33, 5:17 and 8:17. All with a tape recording from "Brian Brown", etc. What can we do to get these calls to stop???!!!!!
Anonymous said...
I received three today on my non-mobile landline from 202-630-0919. Caller ID is POLLRSPNZ2011. Extremely annoying since I happen to be an old (60+) gay male and I am in favor of gay marriage in NY state. Perhaps the calls will stop now since the NY bill just passed and was signed by the governor tonight. Yippee!!

1 comment:

  1. Phoned the above-suggested number (202-457-8060) and asked to speak w/Dave Monge, who answered the phone himself, btw. Very pleasant-sounding gentlemen who said although he was not directly associated with NOM, he is collecting names and numbers to pass along and add to their do not call list. He also listened to my entire complaint re the constant, harassing phone calls I've been receiving lately. Hope he does what he says he'll do. I don't quite understand how he'll accomplish this since, as he says, he has no direct affiliation with NOM. We'll see. Either way...do call that number as it seems the only possibility of stopping the calls at the present time.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis