The Q was home to Lincoln’s gay culture and drag scene for 20 years before its closing, and when news spread about the shutdown, many regular clubgoers were devastated.The fire started at about 7:15 pm and by 8:25 firemen had formed a collapse zone around the club, at 9th & N. The roof collapsed minutes later.
From the Lincoln Journal-Star:
The fire caused a power outage that set off other fire alarms in the area.If there's one thing you can count on after an inferno, it's the resultant scurrying of rats on the street and on Twitter:
At 9:10 p.m. street and traffic lights in the area were not working.
There were no immediate reports of injuries. Only two patrons were inside the club when the fire broke out.
A group of performers and frequent patrons gathered across the street from the club, hugging and wiping tears.
"It's like watching a part of my life burn away," said Brian Ruhs, who DJ's for the club.