Wesolowski's pal, Fr. Gil Wojciech, suddenly fled the Dominican Republic earlier this summer after accusations surfaced from several families accusing him of molesting minor girls. Authorities have said they are trying to find out if he left the country under a false identity and whether he was accompanied by one or more minors.
From the AP:
Shortly before his [Wesolowski's] removal, several residents of the mountain town of Juncalito made allegations of sexual abuse against the Rev. Alberto Gil Wojciech, also a Polish priest and a friend of Wesolowski. The community leader, Pedro Espinal, told reporters that Wojciech took altar boys to the home of Wesolowski...No one in the Dominican Republic seems to know where Wojciech is, either.
The whereabouts of the 65-year-old Wesolowski were unknown. He was removed a few weeks ago, Lombardi said, though there was no official announcement of it in the Vatican's daily bulletin.
Both Wesolowski's and Wojciech worked in the Santiago Archdiocese, headed by Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez, (rumored, justly or unjustly, to be a notorious womanizer), who recently referred to the newly appointed U.S. ambassador to the Domincan Republic as a "maricon" [faggot].
On Wednesday the archbishop of the Santiago Archdiocese, but not its head (Rodriguez) apologized.
On Thursday, a group of the Dominican Republic's Catholic bishops sharply criticized one of their most prominent colleagues, Agripino Nuñez Collado for accusing the media of “instigating and stoking the intrigue,” and claiming that “there’s no evidence against Wesolowski.”