Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Video: Charles Barkley on Jason Collins; NBA great gives Dan Patrick his grounded, common sense take

Sports Illustrated heard Charles Barkley tell syndicated radio host Dan Patrick “yeah, of course I did” when Patrick asked if he had played with a gay teammate when he was in the league from 1984-2000,

...Everybody did. Everybody played with a gay teammate, Dan. And it’ s no big deal. First of all, I think it’s an insult to gay people to think that they’re trying to pick up on their teammates. But everybody has played with a gay teammate….It’s obviously discussed, privately, because the problem is, Dan, unless somebody tell you they’re gay, you can’t say a thing about them being gay. Ya know, until somebody has the courage, and I think it takes great courage to come out, it’s kind of an unspoken word to be honest with you... I had several teammates, I probably had three or guys I played with in my 16 years. But like I say, think about Jason Collins, he played on six teams, so six teams played with a gay guy. And so, everybody has played with a gay guy, you just didn’t know he was a gay guy. Cause until a gay guy comes out, it’s none of your business.
Watch, starting at the 10:12 mark:

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis